VENUE: GAELSCOIL, THURLES
DATE: WEDNESDAY 18th OCTOBER TIME: 5.00-7.00pm
This course is aimed at English teachers who teach, or aim to teach Higher Level English to Senior Cycle students. It may be particularly beneficial to NQTs who want to transfer their knowledge of English language and literature to the Senior Cycle classroom and to exam preparation. While recognising that Leaving Certificate exam is the overlying influence on Senior Cycle English, this course aims to give students an appreciation of the subject , while reducing the fear of the looming exam. The issue of time allocation to topic will also be addressed. The key areas of this session will include;
• Comprehension skills- concentrating on recognising stylistic features.
• Functional Writing- what to read and basic techniques to build on.
• The Composition- how to be prepared, how to build to your strengths.
• Shakespeare/ Set Text- essential toolkit to maximise marks. • Comparative – a framework to build on.
• Poetry- key elements that must be addressed in both studied and unseen.
The tutor, Deirdre Carroll is an experienced LC English teacher and examiner whose courses have been extremely popular in other education centres and had to be re-run as they were over subscribed.
COURSE FREE TO POST PRIMARY TEACHERS
- Action for Life: Primary School Teacher Training Workshop- On Monday 9th October in Gaelscoil Thurles, 4.00- 5.30pm. Participants will recieve manuals for all class levels and a set of beanbags and training in the programme which will enhance their teaching of P.E and SPHE. No cost for workshop
- Active Flag: Tuesday 17th October in Gaelscoil Durlas, Bohernanave, Thurles whereby schools are invited to attend and find out how to get your ‘Active Flag”. Time: 3.30- 5.30 pm
Post Primary Teachers
- Practical Maths Workshop with Douglas Buchanan – Wednesday 18th October from 5pm-7pm in Gaelscoil Durlas, Bohernanave……..( Douglas Buchanan presents lively maths challenge workshops to secondary school audiences which should “excite young mathematicians through puzzles and activities and a bit of magic”. Douglas is a recently retired maths teacher, who during his career became an expert at hosting conferences for maths, ICT, and most of all, his internationally-recognised maths team challenges. Doug travels all over the UK, inspiring and entertaining teachers and students alike with his shows)
- CPR4SCHOOLS- Tuesday 7th November 2017 – 5.00pm- 7.00pm in Gaelscoil Durlas, Bohernanave. This updated training is provided by the Irish Heart Foundation and schools are invited to send 2 teachers to training whereby they will receive valuable packs (which include manikins, to enable practical training to staffs and students) and training manuals.
BOOKINGS CAN BE MADE BY E MAIL OR TEXT TO : firstname.lastname@example.org 086 6008860
The August Mindfulness Course is now fully booked and there are no places available.
There are places available on the ICT Course, being held in Gaelscoil Bhríde, Thurles.
Please note there are only places on the PE course and Computational Thinking in Thurles from 3rd- 7th July.
All other July courses are fully booked.
There are also places available on the Mindfulness course in Cahir, in August and the ICT course in Thurles (Creating and Using Digital Resources for Literacy and Numeracy – Will Carroll)